Sunday, February 5, 2012

Assessment {Chapter TWELVE Synthesis}

What I Do Right...
I think assessment is a crucial part of education. I use a variety of assessments with my students. I use paper pencil tests, journal entries, projects, rubrics, running records, reading logs, reading folders, computer programs, math games, word study games, and quizzes. 
One idea that I did have {after the Assessment grad school class}, was for a 3-2-1 rubric. The students helped me generate a rubric that allows me to see, at a glance, how they are doing with a topic. I put a poster of the rubric on the wall in our classroom. I also have several typed up rubrics that I use to grade assignments such as handwriting, response journals, and reading logs. The students, in turn, can use their whiteboard markers to draw a face on their desk to show me exactly how they are feeling about an assignment. 

I also try to analyze the assessments that I give so that I can determine if the students still have an area of weakness. I try to see who has mastered the content, who needs help on one certain area, and who needs the lesson to be re-taught to them. I can then break the students up into small groups to enrich, reteach, or re-mediate them on a particular topic of study {particularly in reading, writing, and math}. 
 
What I Do Wrong...
I think that I still need to work on assessment strategies to help students who do not qualify for resource, yet need something extra in the classroom. I have a hard time figuring out how to find other interventions that I can apply ALONE in my classroom for those students who perform below grade level. I also need to learn more about how to progress monitor students so that I can see if my instruction is working, and so that I can track progress {or the lack thereof}. By progress monitoring, I can analyze the effectiveness of my instructional methods.

How I'm Going to Fix It...
I would like to keep more detailed anecdotal records on my students who are performing below grade level. I think that I should begin tracking progress through the use of a data notebook. A notebook would keep track of notes, tests, running records, and writing samples so that I can see a progress throughout time. This notebook would also serve as documentation to parents so that I could show how successful the child is in the classroom. 

4 comments:

  1. I really like your 3-2-1 rubric. This allows you as the teacher to know how students are doing on an assessment. Sometimes I think that if a student would tell us how they are feeling about an assessment or ask a question when confused then their scores would turn out better. Instead they are either scared to ask or think they might know what to do. I run across this a lot with my 5th graders, not wanting to ask because they think they know. I am going to try this with them to see how it works for older students.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I got the idea from the Assessment class we had to take. I use the 3-2-1 on rubrics that I create to grade them with, too. I illustrate with a smiley face, squiggly face, and frowny face. The visuals really help my second graders understand the expectations from the assignment.

      Delete
  2. I think keeping track of individual student progress is one of the hardest thing we do as teachers. Anecdotal notes are really one of the best ways I think to do this, but also difficult to keep up with doing them on a regular basis. A notebook to keep the notes, writing samples, tests etc. all together is a great idea I may try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to try this, too. I saw a clip board on sale through Really Good Stuff where you place an index card for each student and then it all covers up so that students can't see what you are writing. I may get it to see how it works .

      Delete