Monday, February 20, 2012

Math {Chapter NINE Synthesis}

What I Do Right...
Math was never my strong subject in school. After reading the chapter, I think that I did have a deficient semantic memory. I had an AWFUL time memorizing anything mathematical {especially those dang multiplication facts}. It was difficult for me to solve the problems mentally or quickly because I would have to go back and think through all the steps...one...at...a...time. I drove my poor mother crazy when doing homework!

Now that I am a teacher, I find math more fun. I like to teach math, but it is not my favorite. The strategies that I learn toward are so NOT from a text book. My math experience taught me that hands-on, real world strategies are best. I want my students to solve problems creatively. I realize, however, that students HAVE to be able to solve problems using just paper and pencil...this is, after all, how they will be assessed. So the big questions...How can I provide a balance of hands-on and paper pencil problem solving instruction? How can my assessments be authentic AND prepare them for district and state tests?

Through trainings offered through our district and some independent research, I think I am getting better at teaching math. Here are some strategies that I find effective in my classroom:

Small Group Teaching {M&M Groups}
I give a pretest at the beginning of each math unit that I teach. This data that I collect from the tests helps me to divide the students up into 3 groups: ones who get it, ones who almost have it, and ones who need intensive instruction. I find that this helps me keep all my students engaged, excited, and enriched through the content. I call this time M&M Groups because it's math, and I use MAP data to help me place kids in groups as well. They rotate through the following 15 minute rotations {you can download the signs, laminate them, and then glue a magnet on the back for your own center rotations}:
work with the teacher {enrich, reteach, remediation} 
math games to practice the skills we are learning
independent practice of the skill at their seat
Here are the signs for the math groups {manatees=need intensive instruction, monkeys=almost there, then macaws=get it...ready for harder stuff} 





SMART board & Computers
Students can also work on a skill at the SMART board. I use it as both whole class teaching and games during M&M Groups. We also go to the computer lab once a week just for math. There are SO MANY amazing websites out there for students to practice math!

Group Work
I use a lot of collaborative group work during math. This helps them generate strategies, share ideas, and learn from each other.  
{generating strategies to figure out how much candy corn is in the container}
{creating a coin bubble map to describe the penny}

Interactive Math
I also love for students to get up to work problems. Any reason to get out of their seat is always fun! They can build a human clock, walk around the room to solve problems I've taped on the walls, or measure things in the classroom with rulers or non-standard units.
{comparing numbers}

What I Do Wrong...
I think that a large part of what I do wrong when teaching math is tied directly to the pacing of the curriculum. Too many times, I have to move on to the next unit of study way before some of my students have mastered the unit before.

Also, after reading the chapter I realized that there are a lot of strategies that I have heard of before, know to do, yet I don't do them consistently. Here are some ideas that I found and think might work for my students:
  • I want my students to use manipulatives more and allow those who struggle to use them often. I saw at a training one time how to make counters with pipe cleaners and beads. These would really help my students who have a deficient semantic memory {like I did}. 
  • I also want to use highlighters more when solving problems. I could have a color to stand for addition strategies and a color to stand for subtraction strategies. This would help them to use correct problem solving strategies.
  • Design a problem-solving strategy appropriate for second graders that will teach them to self regulate. I found one that I like from another blog I read called Second Grade Shenanigans. It's called PSA, and it's a little bit more simplistic than the ones in the text. Basically, students P-identify the problem, S-identify a strategy, and then A-answer and check. Click here to read more about it.   

How I'm Going to Fix It...
I love the CRA {concrete, representational, abstract} sequence for direct instruction. I think that this method would help me, as the teacher, to not introduce the next step too quickly. Once I see that the students understand the concept concretely, only then will I move on to the representation step.

I also want to figure out a way that I can slow down the pacing for my students who are not ready to move on to new content. I think that I could keep old games from previous units available, too, so that students can go back and use strategies that we have already learned. I could also provide a review time during the first 10 minutes of math class. This would allow time to review content we have already learned and review the steps that we use to solve certain problems.













No comments:

Post a Comment