Saturday, February 18, 2012

Assistive Technology {Chapter 13 Synthesis}

What I Do Right...
During one of my first years teaching, I had a student who used a form of assistive technology. If I remember correctly, he had a learning disability in writing. He had a machine that he would use that he could type into instead of having to write with a pencil onto paper. I remember that he had LOTS of trouble with this machine, and I really couldn't figure it out either. He did a lot of frustrated growls and fist shaking at the gadget {and I think I did, too}. Boy, would I love to go back in time to just sit in my classroom during those first years...I bet I would get TONS of laughs.

Since then, I have not had any students with a documented need {in their IEP} for any assistive technology. I use technology in my classroom, however, to assist students in many ways.

SMART board
I have a SMART board in my classroom. We use it every day. I use it a lot for whole class instruction. Smart Exchange is a website that offers tons of free lessons and resources that can be downloaded for instant classroom use. I also use the SMART board for word study and math games. The games prove to be a great strategy to use while I am teaching a small group because I can see exactly what is going on from any point in my classroom! A SMART board is an excellent tool to use for students with learning disabilities because it enables them to interact with the content through tactile manipulation and movement.

{we nicknamed our SMART board "Smarty Pants"}

Flip Camera 
I received a flip camera two years ago as part of a grant that I wrote for Donor's Chose. I use this camera to record students performing in reader's theater, presenting information as a group, or presenting reports and poems individually to the class. The Flip camera is an excellent tool to use for students with disabilities because it creates a motivational tool for them to participate with their group. It also helps them to go back and see themselves after their presentation or part is finished. 


MAP testing and Odyssey
One of the BIGGEST assessment tools that we use at my school is the MAP test {Measure of Academic Progress}. I love this test because it takes students from where they are at the beginning of the year, and then shows me how they grow throughout the course of the school year. Paper-pencil reading comprehension tests are so difficult for my students who have learning disabilities or perform below grade level. The MAP test, however, shows me that my struggling learners have indeed learned something


This year, I have started to use the Odyssey program. It links directly to the scores that students have made on the MAP test. I can pull up each child's page and see which areas they need to work on in reading and math. Odyssey will then provide computerized instruction, reinforcement, and games on the material that the children need extra practice with. 


What I Do Wrong...
There are two BIG issues with technology: time and money. There has to be money for the technology to be purchased, and then there has to be time for me as the teacher to be trained to become a proficient user of the technology. Unfortunately, the budget in my school district has been so tight these past few years. Our computer lab teacher was taken out and replaced with an assistant. We have two computer labs, but I have to be the one to sign up for a time slot and develop the lessons to teach. I have no classroom computers for the students to use. Anything that I want to learn or implement has to be researched and developed on my own.

How I'm Going to Fix It...
My school does seem to be turning around economically. I think that in any budget, however, that teachers need to be creative when utilizing technology. I have learned to think about what I have, rather that about what I do not. For example, I use my smart phone {such as an iPhone or Droid} in my classroom to snap and upload pictures and videos. I can then email them to myself and then upload them to my webpage. I also have found so many AMAZING and FREE websites out there for my students to use. The great thing about these sites is that they are all perfect for differentiating instruction. Here are a few of my {and my student's} favorites:

Fun 4 the Brain
IXL Math
Starfall
Spelling City


I also have a ton of websites already bookmarked on my school webpage. Just click here.

It does take time to search for websites, to explore them to see if they are appropriate, and to train ourselves and our students. Truthfully, however, I believe that it is necessary. Teachers HAVE to stay current for the sake of our students who come to us as digital natives in a techno world. 

3 comments:

  1. Gretchen,

    I love your website and the energy you have in the classroom. I would love to have a flip camera in my classroom to record various presentations of the students. When we see ourselves on camera, we are more likely to change our behaviors and improve our deliveries. You are using your technology tools very effectively.

    Nanelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, my students LOVE to watch themselves back! They just giggle and giggle. I do notice, however, that they are better each time they get in front of that camera...even second graders!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how much you use technology in your classroom! We love our Smart Board and math websites too. The students love being able to get up and interact with the Smart Board. I bought a wireless keyboard and mouse last year and my students love being able to use the mouse and keyboard during lessons. They love acting like the teacher. I wish we had more time to use the computer daily, too. My students enjoy compass, but it takes a long time to get through a single lesson.

    ReplyDelete