Sunday, January 29, 2012

High-Incidence Disabilities {Chapter TWO Synthesis}

What I Do Right...
I teach a variety of students with high-incidence disabilities such as Learning Disabilities {LD}, Attention Deficit/Hyper Activity Disorder {ADHD}, and Speech and Language Imparments {SLI}. One way that I try to reach these students is through differentiated instruction. I have learned ways to teach students in small groups so that they are instructed on their individual level. During my school day I have:
  • small math groups
  • small guided reading groups
  • small writing groups
  • individual writing conferences
  • spelling groups and word study instruction 
Another way that I try to reach students with high-incidence disabilities is through lots of interactive, hands-on lessons. I do not think that students learn best when they are stuck in their desks all day long. Here are some examples:
This little girl is reading a book that she has checked out from our classroom library. Students are instructed on how to select "just right books" for themselves to read independently. Students then have to keep up with their tasks and reading logs in their reading folder. This strategy is great for kids with LD because it is totally designed for their level.
These students are enjoying our word study games. I find that learning games are a great way to break up the monotonous day for students who really need to get up and move during the day. This strategy is great for students with ADHD.


What I do Wrong...
I think that I really need to better analyze the work of my low-incidence disability students. In the CRAZY, busy schedule that I keep as a classroom teacher, mom, and student, it is so hard to find time to carefully investigate the work that students turn in to me each day. I take running records often in reading, and this is soooo effective when I am planning for the next week. However, I rarely do the same type of observation in math, writing, and word study. If I take more time to analyze areas of weakness in math, spelling, and writing, then I will be able to gain more insight as to HOW I can better assist these students. 


How I'm Going to Fix it...
I want to design some forms that I can keep with my lesson plans. These forms will be designed to specific content areas, and will include space for analysis of reading, word study, writing, reading, and math groups. The forms will provide me with the chance to reflect on my teaching, the mistakes students are making, and the strategies that I am going to use to help them improve. 


I also want to better differentiate my spelling instruction. I have tried to implement a program that challenges students who need it, but I still find that my students with LD and SLI struggle with sight words. I want to differentiate their spelling words so that students are learning words ON THEIR LEVEL rather than just giving them all a one-size-fits-all spelling list. 

2 comments:

  1. Gretchen, first of all, I love your blog. It is very warm and inviting. I also love all of your pictures it really shows what is taking place in your classroom. I like the word study games that allow your students with ADHD to get out of their seats and move around while still learning. Would you be willing to share your ideas? I would love to adjust them to 5th grade standards and use them in my classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I would love to share. I will try to figure out a way to post them on the blog. A lot of the games I modified from Beth Newingham's website. I just modified them to fit second grade curriculum.

    ReplyDelete