Sunday, January 29, 2012

Low-Incidence Disabilities {Chapter THREE Synthesis}

What I Do Right...
I have not had much experience with teaching students with low-incidence disabilities. So, I would like to reflect on ways that I {and my school community} have tries to raise awareness for students with disabilities:

We have a wonderful lady at my school {Centerville Elementary} who coordinates our tutoring program. She also organizes a Disabilities Awareness Day each year. She has stations that the students can rotate through where they can feel what it is like to have various disabilities. She also has had Michael Cogdill {from WYFF News Channel 4} come to our school twice to speak and read his book Cracker the Crab and the Sideways Afternoon. This book is a great tool to use in the classroom because it teaches how to treat people how have disabilities with dignity and respect. 
We also have two LD self contained classes that are new to our school each year. One of these classes includes a boy who is Vision Impaired. This child is truly a blessing to our school. My class has the opportunity to go to related arts with this class, and my students love to talk to him, help him, and learn about him. He uses a Braille machine, and his teacher will hang his writing out in the hall. He has helped my students to learn how to treat others in a kind and compassionate matter.   


Just recently, I had a group of students to read a book about Guide Dogs in one of my guided reading groups. I was shocked and AMAZED at what they had learned while I was teaching a whole class lesson when we were discussing Henry Ford. We learned that Ford would hire people with disabilities to work in his factory because he would focus on what they could do rather than by what they could not. During the whole class discussion, the students from that particular guided reading group began to share what they had learned from reading the book. WOW! I was one proud teacher during that moment! I included the website under the Webliography tab to the right.


What I Do Wrong... 
I do have a student this year who is high functioning autistic. He is an extremely bright boy! He makes the honor roll, is a great reader, and he is a whiz at math. He does, however, have a hard time socially. I feel that I have not done the best job with him by helping him find ways to express his emotions. I tend to ignore behaviors rather than trying to find ways to help him deal with his social problems.

How I'm Going to Fix It:
Reading the chapter, I have found many new strategies that I cannot wait to implement with him. I think that I can implement some "consistent prompts, cues, and feedback" that only he and I would know. This way he would see the cue, and modify his behavior without being embarrassed. I could also try reading social stories that would model to him successful ways to interact with his friends and handle frustrating dilemmas. Finally, I could target certain behaviors to work on when he does interact with his classmates. I could work with him on how to handle losing a game, handling a disagreement, and sharing classroom materials. 



 

6 comments:

  1. I love the part about Ford recognizing the abilities of the disabled employees he employed, and giving them jobs that they could excel in, while never treating them any differently. I think that speaks highly of the level of talent our students have, whether they have disabilities or not. I think it is very important to never take a student for granted. They may be more capable than we ever dreamed, and it is important to see the best in them, just as we do our students without disabilities. After all, what some consider disabilities, I like to consider the spice of life...if everyone was the same, there would be no genius to behold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too believe that we should never take any students we teach for granted! Because we come in contact with them almost every day, we can have such a positive influence on their lives! Many students with disabilities may struggle in one are, but excell in others. I feel that each and every student, whether they have a disability or not, should be treated with the same love and respect we'd treat our own children with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gretchen,

    It is wonderful that the student's work in Braille is displayed for the school to view. Braille is such an artistic, beautiful language. Do not think you are the only educator who has ignored behaviors. It happens everyday. I often stop myself from correcting a behavior because sometimes ignoring the problem makes the problem go away. In my 9th grade Hybrid classes, however, if I ignore behaviors that are inappropriate, the behaviors magnify!

    Ford was an amazing individual. Utilizing everyone. I am sure that regardless of their disabilty, men worked hard to please the man who gave them an opportunity to be successful and to mentally respect themselves. Cheers to Ford!

    Nanelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great that you found some strategies in this chapter to help you help your student more effectively! It sounds like a great idea to use the prompts and cues feedback that only he and you know so that he can modify his behavior without you drawing too much attention to it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like you and your school are doing a great job of creating awareness of disabilities. It is so important to show students how students with disabilities are just like everyone else. I love the real world examples of Henry Ford and Cracker the Crab. I have several students with disabilities that my students come in contact with each day. I am going to search out books to help my students become more familiar with these disabilities.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for all the wonderful literature selections you continue to provide with each of your postings! I am most certainly adding these titles to my collection of resources. I had never heard of Michael Cogdill's book, but how wonderful it is that as a local author and TV anchorman, he can come and speak to your students. I believe this personal interaction positively aids in student diversity being accepted and celebrated throughout your school. Henry Ford's utilization of individuals with special needs was a new concepts introduced to me, as well. I believe it would be interesting to learn of other inventors or prominent individuals who celebrated diversity, as well!

    ReplyDelete